Mon, Aug 08, 2011 - Page 13 News List

PLANET POP

Agencies

ABC on Friday apologized to its viewers for Nicki Minaj’s wardrobe slipup that exposed the singer’s bare breast during her summer concert performance on morning news show Good Morning America.

Usually known for her outlandish outfits and offbeat fashion, the 28-year-old rapper and R ’n’ B singer’s crop top slipped down while she was rocking the stage at Central Park’s Rumsey Playfield during the live broadcast.

The costuming snafu brought immediate complaints from some viewers and prompted ABC to apologize and remove the images from later, time-delayed broadcasts of the show.

“Although we had a five-second delay in place for the Nicki Minaj concert on GMA, the live East Coast feed of the concert regrettably included certain fleeting images of the performer that were taken out of later feeds of the broadcast in other time zones. We are sorry that this occurred,” ABC said in its statement.

For Minaj, the show went on, as she continued her music set with her hit songs Moment for Life and Super Bass.

Across the broad Atlantic, former Beatle Paul McCartney said on Thursday that he appears to be part of the newspaper phone hacking scandal in Britain and will be talking to police when he finishes a US tour. “I don’t know much about it because they won’t tell anyone except the person themselves,” says the singer-songwriter, whose ex-wife model Heather Mills told the BBC earlier this week that a journalist working for a British newspaper had confronted her with details of a message left by McCartney on her phone in early 2001.

The News Corp hacking scandal, which McCartney calls a “horrendous violation of privacy,” has resulted in an ongoing investigation regarding claims of journalists and private detectives illegally intercepting voicemail messages on phones of people ranging from celebrities and politicians to murder victims and families of soldiers.

No amount of media digging has produced answers for whether singer and actress Jennifer Lopez will continue to judge on American Idol. Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said on Friday that he had no headline-making announcements — “maybe like confirm Jennifer Lopez or something. No luck there.”

Lopez’s role on American Idol has been unconfirmed since she said earlier this summer that she was undecided about doing a second year. Both Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and record producer Randy Jackson are already confirmed as judges for the singing contest when it returns for its 11th season on Fox in January.

Meanwhile, former Idol judge Simon Cowell has pronounced a death sentence for the nation’s most-watched TV show.

Brash and confident as ever, he said on Friday that his upcoming The X Factor would strip American Idol of its ratings crown. Cowell, who quit his job as Idol’s most abrasive and popular judge in 2010, is now both executive producer and judge on the US version of The X Factor.

He called the singing contest a “game changer” and said it was “completely different” in style and content from his old vehicle American Idol.

“We don’t enter something for the silver medal,” the British producer said. “You do it because you want to be No. 1, and for the next few months we are going to throw everything at this to try and make it the best show on TV.”

Fox, which broadcasts both talent shows, said it believed X Factor would reverse the network’s historically “patchy” ratings in the fall TV season. “If X Factor can do half of what we hope it will do in the fall, Fox is going to be really difficult for the other guys to reckon with,” president Reilly said.

This story has been viewed 2324 times.
TOP top