Mon, May 23, 2011 - Page 13 News List

Planet Pop

Agencies

Oh for Pete’s sake, Doherty.

Photo: AFP

Musician Pete Doherty was jailed for six months on Friday after pleading guilty to possession of cocaine, the Press Association reported.

The 32-year-old was arrested in January last year by police investigating the suspected overdose death of heiress Robyn Whitehead.

The controversial Babyshambles singer has been jailed twice before and has repeatedly admitted possession of banned substances.

Judge David Radford said he had an “appalling record” of committing offenses, having made 13 other court appearances in the past.

Peter Wolfe, 42, who had pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of cocaine and one count of supplying cocaine to Whitehead, was sentenced to a total of 12 months in prison.

Whitehead, 27, the granddaughter of the late Teddy Goldsmith, founder of The Ecologist magazine, spent the last 10 days of her life making a documentary about Doherty.

Prosecutor Alison Morgan said paramedics were called to Wolfe’s flat in Hackney, east London, where Whitehead collapsed on Jan. 24 last year.

They tried to resuscitate Whitehead but she was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

Toxicology reports found she had a combination of cocaine and heroin in her body and had died of heroin poisoning. Footage filmed inside the flat two days earlier showed her in the flat with Wolfe and him passing her a crack pipe, which she then smoked.

The prosecutor told Snaresbrook Crown Court that Doherty later joined them and was also filmed smoking on the crack pipe and putting crack cocaine inside it.

She said the drug offenses to which the two men had been charged had been committed between Jan. 22 and Jan. 24 but that the crack cocaine that Wolfe had supplied Whitehead with could not have been what killed her.

Radford said she had died from the poisoning of another illegal drug which she had chosen to take.

In more news about celebrities who can’t control themselves, the animated series starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as a superhero is officially on hold. The companies behind The Governator say they had stopped working on the budding franchise that Schwarzenegger helped announce to much fanfare in Cannes, France, last month.

A Squared Entertainment, POW, Stan Lee Comics and Archie Comics have not said when or if production on the planned TV series, comic book, movie and video game will resume.

Schwarzenegger said on Thursday that he was postponing his movie projects. He acknowledged last week that he fathered a child out of wedlock more than a decade ago and neglected to tell his wife until this year.

The former movie star and California governor was also set to star in the film Cry Macho and in talks for more Terminator sequels.

Meanwhile, British film star Jude Law will sue the News of the World over allegations of phone hacking next year in a case to set guidelines over damages and which could involve senior management at the tabloid.

A judge hearing the case into phone hacking at the best-selling tabloid, part of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, selected Law and four others to act as lead cases in a trial that will begin in January.

The judge said it was crucial to establish how widespread phone hacking was at the newspaper and the degree of senior management involvement, as this could influence the level of any damages awarded.

Law’s case was included because it covers allegations of harassment, resulted in numerous stories, and his disclosures had pointed to a senior executive at the News of the World, his lawyers said.

This story has been viewed 2940 times.
TOP top