The Imprint of Sound -- Conversation of Sound and Image (聲音的痕跡 -- 聲音vs.影像影展). P.O.P Cinema presents the latest installation of its critically acclaimed hybrid-cinema series that offers in-depth exploration on the intricate relationship between image and sound. The rarely-seen selection of award-winning films takes viewers into the minds of the world's greatest musicians from contemporary composer Gyorgy Ligeti, elusive jazz vocalist and trumpeter Chet Baker, New York composer and saxophone players John Zorn to post-punk band Joy Division's lead singer Ian Curtis and Mali's Ali Farka Toure, known as "the bluesman of the desert" in the West.
Other selected works take viewers on lyrical voyages to the Gamelan musicians in Indonesia, the Aboriginal tribe in the equatorial forest of Southeast Cameroon who call themselves Baka Pygmeas and the Jewish musicians who sing Yiddish songs, Klezmer music and Hebrew chants.
The line-up of 26 films also includes cutting-edge experimental works as well as films by the world's best-known masters such as Alexander Sokurov's Elegy of Life. Rostropovich. Vishnevskaya, Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation and Orson Welles' Touch of Evil.
- The festival runs from today through Sept. 7 at Spot -- Taipei Film House (光點台北), 18 Zhongshan N Rd Sec 2, Taipei (台北市中山北路二段18號).
- Tickets cost NT$130 for members; NT$150 for non-members. For more information, call (02) 2511-7786 or visit www.twfilm.org/sound2
Le Petit Prince is a musical composed by Richard Cocciante and is based on the fairytale of the same name by French author Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The show sports a top-notch cast led by Laurent Ban of Les Miserables fame, and leads the audience through an otherworldly journey through the floating planets inhabited by a whimsical crew of characters. The elaborate production features a lavish stage designed by Hans Schavernoch and costumes designed by Jean-Charles de Castelbajac.
- National Theater (國家戲劇院), 21-1 Zhongshan S Rd, Taipei (台北市中山南路21-1號)
- Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm and tomorrow at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$1,000 to NT$6,000 and are available through NTCH ticket outlets or at www.artsticket.com.tw
Practicing Accusations (控訴練習) is a theater performance by Summer, Seemless, Iron Theater Troupe (夏*綻*鐵 戲劇祭) that explores the emotions of two men and a woman trapped in a room without doors. Sometimes talkative, other times uncommunicative, the characters' various mental states reflect the difficulty people experience when trying to change their behavior to maintain relationships.
- Tainan Eslite Bookstore (台南城品書店), B2, 181 Changrung St Sec 1, Tainan (台南市長榮路一段181號B2)
- Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm and tomorrow and Sunday at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$200 and are available through NTCH ticket outlets or at www.artsticket.com.tw
Nuance Chamber Ensemble 2007 Concert (微分音室內樂集2007年度音樂會). The NCE has entered its sixth year since its inception in 2001, and its past concert tours around Taiwan have been well-received.
Featuring violinist Tsai Shih-chien (蔡詩肩) for the Taipei concert and Lin Wen-hsuan (林文宣) for the Taoyuan concert, violist Hu Chu-yin (胡竹音), cellist Hsieh Meng-jung (謝孟容), and pianist Chen Ho-yi (陳禾宜), the ensemble will give three concerts in Taoyuan, Taipei, and Hsinchu featuring two different concert programs. For the Taoyuan and Taipei concerts, the program will include Dvorak's String Quartet in F Major, Op.96 and Dohnanyi's Piano Quintet No.1 in C minor, Op.1. For the Hsinchu concert, the program will include Brahms' Piano Trio No.3 in C minor, Op.101 and Dohnanyi's String Trio in C Major, Op.10.