Eight stand-up comedians will perform at Comedy Night next Saturday at Live Comedy Club Taipei, which is located in the Shida area and is Taiwan's first full time comedy club. The English-language show will run twice and will feature all new material from expat comedy guru Dan "Gonzo" Machanik based on his "outrageous gonzo misadventures in China," plus performances by stand-up veterans Mark Goding and Kurt Penney, as well as several new faces, Mark Bronsil, aka Matt the Puppet Guy, Norman Fung, Adrian Maidment, Kao Ying-hsuan (高英軒), an actor who will be appearing in Ang Lee's (李安) next movie, and Christopher Run, who describes himself as a "confirmed sexual-terrorist" and "devout atheist" whose material may offend the religious. For information on Dan Machanik, check out www.danielmachanik.com.
- NT$350 admission includes one drink
- Next Saturday at 9pm and 11:30pm
- B1, 24 Taishun St, Taipei (台北市泰順街24號B1). Call (02) 2369-3730 or visit www.comedy.com.tw/english
Damien Sargue, Live!, a concert by the star of the Euro-pop musical Romeo and Juliet which recently played Taiwan. Sargue is returning to Taipei to give a concert for his unexpectedly massive and vocal fans. The concert will include selections from Romeo and Juliet, Hunchback of Notre Dame and some songs from his own repertoire.
- National Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, Taipei (國父紀念館), 505 Renai Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段505號)
- Tickets are NT$1,000 to NT$4,200
- Aug. 25, 7:30pm
Rewinding the Good Old Memories Film Festival (膠卷時光影展). The fist big enterprise in Taiwan to take up the role as a film festival organizer, China Trust (中國信託) puts forth a lineup of 15 classic films that look back to a golden age of cinema. For those who missed David Lean's Doctor Zhivago, the immortal Fiddler on the Roof, The Remains of the Day or Leos Carax's first commercial film Les Amants du Pont-Neuf, this another chance to relive the memorable moments on the big screen.
- When: Today through Aug. 23
- Where: SPOT - Taipei Film House (台北之家－光點電影院), 18 Zhongshan N Rd Sec 2, Taipei (台北市中山北路二段18號) and The Showtime Cinema (欣欣數位影城), 247 Linsen N Rd, Taipei (台北市林森北路247號)
- Tickets cost NT$220 per screening; a festival pass costs NT$900 for six screenings, available through NTCH ticket outlets or at www.artsticket.com.tw
- For more information, visit /blog.roodo.com/chinatrustfilm
Huang Ping-yuan 2007 Concert (源來有你-黃品源2007台北演唱會) will perform a program of his romantic songs for audiences who have waited 15 years to hear him perform live. Huang has 10 albums to his credit and is a favorite among the KTV crowd.
- Taipei International Convention Center (台北國際會議中心), 1 Xinyi Rd Sec 5, Taipei (台北市信義路五段1號)
- Tickets are NT$1,000 to NT$3,200 through ERA ticketing
- Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30pm
Music Forum Weekend Concert - Romance and Monologue (十方樂集週末音樂會-浪漫、獨白). Music Forum in Taipei will present a piano recital tonight featuring piano soloist Ho Pei-jung (何佩蓉). Ho will present a selection of romantic piano works, including Chopin's Polonaise-Fantasie, Op.61 and Piano Sonata No.3 in B minor Op.58, and Rachmaninoff's Moments Musicaux, Op.16.
- At the Forum Auditorium (十方樂集音樂劇場演奏廳), 4, Ln 187, Minzu W Rd, Taipei City (台北市民族西路187巷4號)
- All tickets cost NT$250 and are available through NTCH ticketing or call Music Forum at (02) 2593-5811