The Vagina Monologues (陰道獨白). Though teachers in the US still prohibit their students from saying the V-word, the play with the same word in its title will return to Taipei on March 30 and 31 for V-Day. The Vagina Monologues introduces a divergent mixture of female stories to delve into the mystery of the female experience.
* Armed Forces Cultural Center (國軍文藝活動中心) 69 Zhonghua Rd Sec 1, Taipei (台北市中華路一段69號)
* Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm
* Tickets are NT$500 (NT$400 for students) and are available through ERA ticketing system
Taipei Traditional Arts Festival (2007年台北市傳統藝術季). This annual event features a wide range of music and theater shows by performers from Taiwan and China. The festival kicks off tomorrow at 7:30pm with A performance by celebrity drum masters (鼓王名家展絕技), which provides an invaluable showcase of the beiguan style of music which dominates traditional theater in Taiwan, and includes performances by beiguan musician Chiu Huo-rong (邱火榮). On Sunday, The drum virtuoso cup, national drum contest finals (鼓王盃全國鼓藝大賽) will be held in the plaza of Zhongshan Hall. Come out and watch as the best local percussion talent battle it out for the top prize. The festival continues on Monday with The Resonating music of Sanxi and Zhaozhou (晉風潮樂競爭鳴), a performance by percussionists from Chinese Culture University and Tainan University of the Arts. On Tuesday, members from Taiwan University of the Arts, Department of Chinese Music brings The Zhejiang Dramatic Flare Soars (浙風戲韻響雲霄) to the stage, a celebration of beiguan music.
* Taipei Zhongshan Hall (台北市中山堂), 98 Yenping S Rd, Taipei (台北市延平南路98號)
* Performances begin at 7:30pm, except for Sunday's performance, which begins at 9:00am
The much anticipated Euro rock opera Romeo and Juliette will be arriving in Taipei next week to commence a two week run at the National Sun Yat-sen Memorial. Drawing on the popularity of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which proved a crowd-pleaser on its last two visits to Taiwan, Romeo and Juliette reprises a similar formula with beautiful stars and up-tempo music, bringing the Shakespearian classic to a new audience. Composed by Gerard Presgurvie and staring some of the original cast, including heartthrob Damien Sargue in the role of Romeo, and Cyril Niccolai, who has already visited Taiwan with the cast of Hunchback, playing Benvolio. The cheaper seats have already sold out, but tickets remain from NT$2,000 to NT$6,000, and are available through NTCH ticketing. The show opens April 5 and runs through to April 20.
* All performances are NT$200 to NT$800, except Sunday's performance which is free
Lost Shadows and Oculus by Cloud Gate Theater (雲門舞集) is a performance in two parts. The first part is the world premier of British choreographer Akram Khan's Lost Shadows. The second part of the program will be Wu Kuo-chu's (伍國柱) Oculus, a masterpiece performed by Cloud Gate 2. The untimely death of Wu in 2006 at the age of 36 was a shock to the dance world and Cloud Gate Theater director and founder Lin Hwai-min (林懷民) wanted to put on Oculus to commemorate the young choreographer.
* The National Theater, Taipei
* Today, tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:45pm and Sunday at 2:45pm
* Tickets are NT$400 to NT$2,000 and can be purchased from www.artsticket.com.tw
Bellydance Superstars is the brainchild of Miles Copeland who takes various beauties, attires them in Middle-Eastern garb and fuses tribal, punk rock, ballet, gymnastic styles to create a exotic performance that is as much erotic as it is showy.
* Taipei International Convention Center (台北國際會議中心)
* Today and tomorrow at 7:45pm and tomorrow at 2:45pm
* Tickets are NT$800 to NT$2,500 and are available through ERA ticketing
Monkey King at Spider Cave (孫悟空大戰蜘蛛精) is an episode adapted from the Chinese classic Journey to the West (西遊記) by shadow puppeteer Larry Reed and The Puppet and Its Double Theater (無獨有偶工作室劇團). Monkey King at Spider Cave features the heroic Monkey King and his disciples battling against the flesh-hungry Spider Demon and his hoard of evil insects.
* Chiayi Performing Arts Center (嘉義縣表演藝術中心), 265 Jianguo Rd Sec 2, Minsyong Township, Chiayi County (嘉義縣民雄鄉建國路二段265號)