● Ticket sets for the complete four concert series of the much anticipated premiere of the NSO production of the Des Ring Des Nibelungen are now on sale with a 30 percent discount for those purchasing tickets for all performances (five shows, including a program of highlights), which runs Sept. 15-16, Sept. 23-24 and Sept. 28. The production, that brings to Taiwan some of the world's foremost singers in Wagnerian roles, along with an outstanding number of local singers, includes a total of 16 hours performance time involving 220 musicians and singers. Tickets for each of the four performances are NT$400 to NT$2,000. Tickets for individual concerts go on sale on Aug. 1. Tickets are available through NTCH ticketing.
● The community walk up Taipei 101, organized by the Canadian Society among others, is getting into full swing. Climb the world's tallest building for a worthwhile cause, and raise funds for the Garden of Hope Foundation which fights domestic violence and sexual abuse. The American, British and European chambers of commerce, ICRT and the Foreign Correspondents Club have thrown themselves into the event, so why don't you. The registration fee is NT$500 and participants are expected to raise a minimum of NT$2,000 in sponsorship. Refreshments will be provided for participants. Details are available at the Canadian Society Web site at www.canadiansociety.org.
The Legend of the Mermaid (人魚傳說) a performance of Hakka opera by the Rom Shing Hakka Opera Troupe (榮興客家採茶劇團), as part of the 2006 Taipei Traditional Arts Festival (台北市傳統藝術季), at Zhongshan Hall (台北市中山堂), 98 Yenping S Rd, Taipei (台北市延平南路98號).
● Tickets are NT$300 to NT$1,000 and are available through TRTC ticketing. More information at www.tco.gov.tw.
● Tomorrow at 7:30pm and Sunday at 2:30pm
Listening to the Sky Singing (聽見飛天在唱歌) by the Jade and Artists Dance Troupe (肢體音符舞團) at the Red Playhouse (紅樓劇場), 10 Chengdu Rd, Taipei (台北市成都路10號).
● Tickets are NT$500 and are available through ERA ticketing.
● Tonight and tomorrow at 8pm
Kick Back, Sip Tea and Enjoy Kun Opera (歇腳:喝茶:聽崑曲) a performance of selections from the operas Washing the Silken Gauze and The Western Chamber.
● Tea costs a minimum of NT$150 per person but entry is free.
● Sunday 2:30pm and 3:30pm
Hwa-gang Dancing Group Performance of the China Culture University 2006 (華崗舞團2006公演) at the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (國父紀念館) at 505 Renai Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段505號).
● Admission is free.
● Tonight and tomorrow at 7:30pm
New Snow White (白雪公主與七矮人) by Japan's Flying Boat Theater Troupe (飛行船劇團) at the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (國父紀念館) at 505, Renai Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段505號).
● Tickets are NT$300 to NT$800 and are available through ERA ticketing.
● Sunday at 2:30pm and 7:30pm
101 Dalmatians by the Paper Windmill Theater (紙風車劇團), at the Metropolitan Hall (城市舞台), 25, Bade Rd Sec 3, Taipei (台北市八德路三段25號).
● Tickets are NT$400 to NT$1,100 and can be obtained at the venue.
● Saturday at 10:30am, 2:30pm, and 7:30; Sunday at 10:30am and 2:30pm
Songs of the Wayfarer 2006 (在波光流傳的跫音), featuring violinist Jasmine Lin (林允白) and cellist Sophie Shao (邵欣玲), with the NSO under Chien Wen-pin (簡文彬) playing a program including Shostakovich's Cello Concerto No. 1, Bruch's Scottish Fantasy Op. 46 and the NSO commissioned work Timeless Reflections by Wang Yi-wen (王怡雯). At the National Concert Hall, Taipei.