The self-confessed German cannibal who killed a consenting man and ate his body parts is to seek a legal ban on a low-budget feature film telling the story, a lawyer said on Monday, three days before a retrial is due to begin in Frankfurt, Germany.
Armin Meiwes, 44, is serving an eight-and-a-half year prison term after being convicted two years ago of manslaughter. Prosecutors obtained a retrial after complaining that he should have been convicted of murder. The case attracted worldwide attention.
The unauthorized movie is reportedly set for release in Germany on March 9 and is entitled Rohtenburg, similar, but with a letter H added, to the name of the small town where Meiwes lived and carried out the bizarre act in a ramshackle manor house.
Lawyer Harald Ermel said Monday in Rotenburg that Meiwes had not consented to the making of the film, where he is played by Hollywood-based German actor Thomas Kretschmann. The lawyer said his client resented his portrayal as a "bestial killer."
An award-winning Indian documentary-maker sued New York City this week because police ordered him to stop filming in public last year and held him for four hours, apparently suspecting he was plotting an attack.
The New York Civil Liberties Union, acting as lawyers for filmmaker Rakesh Sharma, believes it is the first suit to challenge police restrictions on taking pictures in public following the Sept. 11 attacks.
It alleges Sharma's constitutional rights to free speech and against unreasonable search and seizure were violated.
Sharma has won numerous international film awards for the documentaries Final Solution, on the killing of Muslims in the northwest Indian state of Gujarat in 2002 and 2003, and for Aftershocks, on the 2001 earthquake in Kutch, Gujarat.
He was taking video with a hand-held camera in midtown Manhattan for a project about New York taxi drivers last May when he was stopped by a plainclothes officer, questioned on the sidewalk, taken in for more questioning and had his camera damaged, the federal lawsuit alleges.
Oscar-winning actress Angelina Jolie is pregnant with a child fathered by movie co-star Brad Pitt, his spokeswoman said on Wednesday, finally confirming a romance that has become one of Hollywood's most talked-about open secrets.
Publicist Cindy Guagenti also confirmed reports that Pitt has filed papers to become the legal adoptive father of Jolie's two adopted children, son Maddox, four, and daughter Zahara, who is about 11 months old.
Guagenti acknowledged Jolie's pregnancy but declined to give further details, including when the baby was due.
Representatives for Jolie were not available for comment.
News of Jolie's pregnancy was first reported on Wednesday by People magazine, which quoted the actress as telling a charity worker in the Dominican Republic, where she is working on a movie, "Yes, I'm pregnant."
Acclaimed Hollywood and Broadway stage actors Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane were this week honored with twin stars laid into the pavement on Hollywood's prestigious Walk of Fame.
The pair, who starred in the stage version as well as the new film remake of Mel Brooks' The Producers, were awarded the 2,299th and 2,300th stars on the famous strip of sidewalk in front of about 100 of the comedy duo's fans.
Mel Brooks, who wrote the original 1968 film version of The Producers, then adapted it into a hit Broadway musical in 2001, and then remade it again for the newest film version, also spoke at the glittering unveiling ceremony.