An international panel last week officially presented a blueprint to overhaul the UN as it reaches age 60 next year, proposing sweeping changes but also keeping core concepts, including the right to self-defence which could include pre-emptive acts.
\nPre-emptive policies have become a controversial issue after US President George W. Bush launched the war against Iraq on allegations -- later proved untrue -- that former president Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and presented a threat to the world.
\nA deeply divided UN Security Council refused to back the invasion last year, but the new proposals from a 16-member blue ribbon panel appeared to offer a framework where such pre-emptive actions would be allowed as long as they are defensive acts and have the backing of the council.
\nThe panel's blueprint for reform, commissioned by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, was unveiled formally to the 191 members of the organization on Thursday, after parts of the report were released earlier last week.
\nAnnan said rules governing use of force remain "at the heart of who we are as the UN and what we stand for. I cannot overemphasize how important a new consensus on this issue is for a renewed system of collective security."
\nThe panel reaffirmed the right of governments to self-defence, including pre-emptive action when an attack is imminent and in cases combining terrorist and nuclear attacks, which it called "nightmare scenarios."
\nBut it said the UN Security Council must act swiftly and more proactively than in the past.
\nThe panel left unchanged Article 51 of the UN Charter, which essentially supports the inherent individual or collective rights of self-defense against an armed attack.
\n"The panel did not discuss the war in Iraq and made no characterization about its nature" when it drafted the blueprint, Sebastian Einsiedel told reporters. He is part of a team of researchers for the reform package.
\n"We do not pass judgement on legitimacy of war, we just urged the Security Council to be proactive," he said.
\nThe blueprint will provide the basis for discussions over the coming year, and recognized the difficulty of changing such a large and complex organization by warning that not all the 101 recommendations for change would be accepted, including proposed new models for the 15-nation council.
\nThe panel broadened the
\nscope of threats in today's world
\nto include infectious disease,
\nHIV/AIDS and poverty as well as weapons of mass destruction, and proposed a new collective security consensus that would put an expanded UN Security Council in charge of peace and security in the world.
\n"I wholly endorse its core arguments for a broader, more comprehensive system of collective security: one that tackles both new and old threats, and addresses the security concerns of all states -- rich and poor, weak and strong," Annan said upon receiving the blueprint.
\nThe commission, named the High Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change, was headed by former Thai prime minister Anand Panyarachun and spent more than a year to develop the 93-page blueprint, entitled A more secure world: Our shared responsibility.
\nIts members included former heads of government like Gro Harlem Brundtland of Norway, Gareth Evans of Australia and Yevgeny Primakov of Russia, security experts like Brent Scowcroft of the US and former Chinese foreign minister Qian Qichen (
An outrageous dismissal of the exemplary Taiwanese fight against COVID-19 has been perpetrated by the EU. There is no excuse. I presume that everyone who reads the Taipei Times knows that the EU has excluded Taiwan from its so-called “safe list,” which permits citizens unhindered travel to and from the countries of the EU. As the EU does not feel that it needs to explain the character of this exclusive list, perhaps we should examine it ourselves in some detail. There are 14 nations on the list that have been chosen as safe countries of origin and safe countries of destination for
Filmmakers in Taiwan used to struggle when it came to telling a story that could resonate internationally. Things started to change when the 2017 drama series The Teenage Psychic (通靈少女), a collaboration between HBO Asia and Taiwanese Public Television Service (PTS), became a huge hit not just locally, but also internationally. The coming-of-age story was adapted from the 2013 PTS-produced short film The Busy Young Psychic (神算). Entirely filmed in Taiwan, the Mandarin-language series even made it on HBO’s streaming platforms in the US. It is proof that a well-told Taiwanese story can absolutely win the hearts and minds of hard-to-please
Drugged with sedatives, handcuffed and wearing a bright orange prison tunic, British fraud investigator and former journalist Peter Humphrey was escorted by warders into an interrogation room filled with reporters, locked inside a steel cage and fastened to a metal “tiger chair.” Humphrey recalls: “I was completely surrounded by officers, dazed, manacled and with cameras pointing at me through the bars. I was fighting for my life like a caged animal. It was horrifying.” Footage from the interrogation was later artfully edited to give the appearance of a confession and broadcast on Chinese state media. While this might sound like an
The US House of Representatives on July 1 passed by unanimous consent a bipartisan bill that would penalize Chinese officials who implement Beijing’s new national security legislation in Hong Kong, as well as banks that do business with them. The following day, the US Senate unanimously passed the bill, which was later sent to the White House, where it awaits US President Donald Trump’s signature. The bill does not spell out what the sanctions would look like and Trump has yet to sign it into law, but Reuters on Thursday last week reported that five major Chinese state lenders are considering