Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC Corp (宏達電) will launch its new flagship smartphone, the M7, in London and New York on Feb. 19, industry sources said yesterday.
HTC sent out invitations to press events in both cities on Wednesday, but did not reveal the name of the device.
However, corporate sources confirmed that it would be the M7.
It will mark the first time HTC has simultaneously launched a new Android model in both the UK and the US, HTC chief marketing officer Benjamin Ho (何永生) said.
Industry analysts said the new arrangement symbolizes HTC’s strong determination to stage a comeback in both the US and European markets.
HTC was ranked the world’s No. 4 smartphone producer for the whole of last year, with shipments of 32.6 million units and a 4.6 percent global market share, according to International Data Corp, a US-based market research firm.
Both figures marked significant drops from its record high in 2011, when the company’s shipments reached 43.6 million units and its market share stood at 8.8 percent.
The company officially unveiled its flagship One series of handsets at a huge press conference at last year’s Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, Spain.
Those devices, and the design choices in them, went on to influence much of HTC’s device portfolio last year.