Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas yesterday cut its benchmark interest rate by 0.25 percentage points, resuming policy easing after economic growth and inflation slowed.
The central bank reduced the overnight borrowing rate to 4.25 percent, it said in a statement.
Twenty-three of the 26 economists surveyed by Bloomberg predicted the decision.
The move came a day after central banks in India, New Zealand and Thailand surprised with their rate decisions as policymakers take stronger steps to counter global economic risks.
The US Federal Reserve’s rate cut last week has given Asian central banks room to pursue looser monetary policy.
Philippine government data released earlier yesterday showed that the nation’s economy grew 5.5 percent last quarter, the slowest pace in more than four years and well below the median estimate of 5.9 percent in a Bloomberg survey of economists.
Briefing reporters in Manila, Philippine Secretary of Economic Planning Ernesto Pernia cited the El Nino weather pattern, the US-China trade dispute and the delayed national budget as challenges for the economy.
The government might have to revisit its economic targets — “just to be realistic about what we expect this year” Pernia said — even as he said GDP growth could still reach 6 to 6.5 percent for the full year.
The central bank cut interest rates by 25 basis points in May and paused in June.
Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Benjamin Diokno said earlier this week that he sees about 50 basis points of interest rate cuts for the rest of the year.
Inflation eased to a two-year low of 2.4 percent last month from 2.7 percent in June.
Benign inflation due to lower food prices, easing oil costs and a high statistical base effect leaves room for further monetary easing, economists said.
NOTABLE SHIFT: By 2030, 50% of all laptops would be assembled in Southeast Asia, while Taiwan would still mostly focus on research and development, a report said Global laptop and desktop computer supply chains are expected to shift significantly away from China in the next 10 years, a Market Intelligence & Consulting Institute (MIC, 產業情報研究所) report said. By 2030, only 40 percent of global laptop production would remain in China, said the report, which was released on Thursday. “The reshuffling of the global supply chain will be one of the most important trends in the next 10 years,” the institute said in the report. “In the long run, key component makers will follow laptop assemblers in moving out of China.” The Taipei-based institute predicted most key component makers
Merck Group Taiwan yesterday said that it plans to invest substantially on expanding its fab in Kaohsiung’s Lujhu District (路竹) to better serve its local customers, including Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電). The company said it plans to expand its production space by 50 percent in the next five years and its workforce by about 40 percent, Merck Group Taiwan managing director Dick Hsieh (謝志宏) told a media briefing in Taipei. Hsieh declined to disclose investment details, but said that the latest investment would exceed the total amount Merck has invested in Taiwan over the past few years. Those investments would be
INVEST IN TAIWAN: A metal components casting firm and the world’s largest maker of aluminum bicycle rims also obtained approvals to join the program Solar Applied Materials Technology Co (SOLAR, 光洋應用材料), a part of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) “green supply chain,” has pledged to invest NT$1 billion (US$34.1 million) to build a new plant at the Tainan Technology Industrial Park (台南科技工業區), the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. SOLAR has been collaborating with TSMC to extract precious metals from waste and reuse them as “sputtering target” material in high-end semiconductor manufacturing, a TSMC press release issued in May said. Established in 1978, SOLAR also offers key materials and integrated services to customers in the optoelectronics, information and communications technology, petrochemicals and consumer electronics industries,
‘SWARM TECH’: Joint venture FARobot is to develop autonomous mobile robots that would first be deployed in Hon Hai’s factories to optimize production efficiency Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) and Adlink Technology Inc (凌華科技) have formed a robotic venture that aims to use “swarm technology” to create robots that can communicate with one another on the factory floor to optimize production efficiency. Hon Hai is Apple Inc’s leading iPhone assembler and the world’s largest contract electronics maker, while Adlink supplies industrial computers and Internet of Things solutions. Through a subsidiary, Hyield Venture Capital Co (鴻揚創投), Hon Hai holds a 51 percent stake in autonomous mobile robot (AMR) developer FARobot (法博智能移動), while Adlink owns the remaining 49 percent. Together, the two companies put up NT$200