Footwear supplier Pou Chen Corp (寶成工業) yesterday reported a net profit of NT$12.92 billion (US$443.18 million) for last year, down 1 percent from NT$13.06 billion in 2016, mainly due to higher expenses to expand and renovate its retail business.
Earnings per share were NT$4.38, down slightly from NT$4.43 in 2016, the company said in a statement.
Revenue totaled NT$278.63 billion, up 1.4 percent from NT$274.9 billion the previous year, while gross margin rose to 26.2 percent from 25.6 percent, the statement showed.
However, operating expenses over the period increased 6.5 percent to NT$56 billion, while operating profit decreased 4 percent to NT$17.7 billion.
Expenses rose because of an ongoing plan to expand its distribution channels and revamp some of its existing stores, the company said.
Pou Chen, the world’s largest branded athletic and casual footwear maker, operates its sportswear retail business in China through its Hong Kong-listed subsidiary, Pou Sheng International Ltd (寶勝國際).
Footwear manufacturing accounted for 70 percent of its revenue last year, while its retail business made up the remaining 30 percent.
Sales from footwear manufacturing declined 4.7 percent annually to NT$185.6 billion last year, while its retail business grew 16.8 percent to NT$92.1 billion, company data showed.
Pou Chen in January announced plans to spend HK$10.9 billion (US$1.39 billion) to privatize and delist Pou Sheng from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, with the aim of simplifying its management structure and repositioning its core businesses.
The shoemaker said it would hold its annual shareholders’ meeting on June 15.
Pou Chen shares edged up 0.66 percent to close at NT$38.20 in Taipei trading yesterday.
‘BIG LOSS’: This year might see the last generation of Huawei’s Kirin chips, as their production would stop next month because they are made using US technology Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co (華為) is running out of processor chips to make smartphones due to US sanctions and would be forced to stop production of its own most advanced chips, a company executive has said, in a sign of growing damage to Huawei’s business from US pressure. Huawei, one of the biggest producers of smartphones and network equipment, is at the center of US-Chinese tension over technology and security. Washington last year cut off Huawei’s access to US components and technology, and those penalties were tightened in May, when the White House barred vendors worldwide from using US
’WHITE BOX’: The open platform would give local firms access to Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop 5G telecom equipment and tap into the global market The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday introduced a new 5G “open lab” in collaboration with US-based information technology and networking giant Cisco Systems Inc to address the rapidly growing “white box” 5G networking equipment market. The open lab will be a platform where Taiwanese manufacturers can access Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop their own 5G telecom equipment, such as small-cell base stations, network switches, modems and Internet of things (IoT) devices, a ministry statement said. The open platform would allow Taiwanese manufacturers to tap into the lucrative 5G telecom equipment market, which was previously monopolized by Nokia Oyj, Ericsson AB
CORPORATE SCANDAL: Cathay Life has invested NT$13.3 billion in Bank Mayapada since 2015, but the latest loss of NT$8.8 billion has completely written off its investment Cathay Life Insurance Co (國泰人壽) yesterday said it would recognize an investment loss of NT$8.8 billion (US$298.1 million) in Indonesia’s Bank Mayapada Internasional Tbk PT due to concerns about the lender’s operations amid a corporate scandal. The company said it would revise its earnings result for June, from a net profit of NT$6.52 billion to a net loss of NT$520 million, its first monthly loss over the past 17 months. After booking an investment loss of NT$5.2 billion in Bank Mayapada earlier this year, Cathay Life has so far recognized total investment losses of NT$14 billion in the lender, executive vice president
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday reported that revenue last month expanded 25 percent annually, but fell 12.8 percent month-on-month to NT$105.96 billion (US$3.59 billion). In the first seven months of this year, the chipmaker’s revenue surged 33.6 percent to NT$727.26 billion, compared with NT$544.46 billion a year earlier. TSMC has said it aims to grow its revenue by more than 20 percent this year. The company has since May 15 stopped taking new orders from Huawei Technologies Co (華為), its second-biggest customer after Apple Inc, due to the US’ restrictions on exports containing US technologies. TSMC has no plans to