Samsung Electronics Co yesterday said it was “adjusting production” of its recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, after key distributors stopped offering replacements because of continued safety concerns.
The announcement marked another major setback for the South Korean electronics giant, following its decision on Sept. 2 to issue a global recall for 2.5 million Note 7s because of complaints that the lithium-ion battery exploded while charging.
Over the past week, reports emerged of replacement units also catching fire, prompting US telecommunications firm AT&T and German rival T-Mobile to announce on Sunday a halt to recall exchanges pending further investigations.
Their announcement prompted a steep dive in Samsung’s share price, which fell more than 4 percent at one point in morning trade. It recovered later to close the day at 1.68 million won (US$1513.74) — down 1.52 percent.
The market was also reacting to a South Korean media report that Samsung had temporarily shut down Note 7 production lines after discussions with consumer safety regulators from South Korea, the US and China.
“We are in the process of adjusting production volumes,” Samsung said in a written response to the report.
The company said the move was “to enhance quality control and to enable thorough investigations following the recent cases of Galaxy Note 7 explosions.”
With images of charred phones flooding social media, the unprecedented recall has proved a humiliation for a firm that prides itself as an icon of innovation and quality.
The recall process initially stumbled with some mixed messages, but seemed to be on track until last week when the reports of replacement phones catching fire began to emerge.
AT&T said it would still offer customers the option to exchange Galaxy Note 7s for another Samsung smartphone or other device of their choice, while T-Mobile said it was halting sales of the Note 7, as well as the exchanges.
“It’s all got very serious again,” said S.R. Kwon, an analyst at Dongbu Securities.
“They could just pull the Note 7 off the market, but the real concern is that it might not even end there,” Kwon said. “It will damage Samsung’s brand image and also affect the sales of other Galaxy smartphones.”
AT&T is the South Korean company’s third-biggest customer, while T-Mobile’s parent is No. 4, according to estimates compiled by Bloomberg.
The trouble with the Note 7 and the handling of the recall, which analysts say could cost up to US$2 billion, has placed a spotlight on Samsung’s management at a time when it is navigating a tricky generational power transfer within its founding Lee family.
Industry experts have criticized the Lee dynasty for controlling the vast group through a complex web of cross shareholdings, although they directly own only about 5 percent of total stocks.
And Samsung is also under pressure from one of its shareholders, the activist US hedge fund Elliott Management run by billionaire Paul Singer.
In a detailed proposal unveiled last week, Elliott laid out a strategy for streamlining Samsung, splitting the company in two, dual-listing the resulting operating company on a US exchange and paying shareholders a special dividend of 30 trillion won (US$27 billion).
Elliott argued that Samsung, currently a maze of listed and unlisted companies with a notoriously opaque ownership and management structure, had suffered from a long-term undervaluation in the equity market.
Despite all its problems, Samsung on Friday issued a stronger-than-expected operating profit forecast for the third quarter, thanks largely to strong sales of memory chips and OLED display panels.
In a separate statement yesterday, Samsung Electronics Taiwan Co (台灣三星) said that the process of its refunds and replacements of the Galaxy Note 7 in the Taiwanese market will remain unchanged for the time being.
Additional reporting by staff writer
Softbank Group Corp plans to keep a stake in the chip designer Arm Ltd, even if it sells a partial interest to Nvidia Corp, the Nikkei reported. The companies are negotiating terms, the newspaper reported, citing sources. Softbank might take a stake in Nvidia after it buys Arm, the report said. Nvidia and Arm might also merge through a share swap, and Softbank would become a major shareholder in the combined company, it said. The two parties aim to reach a deal in the next few weeks, the sources said, asking not to be identified because the information is private. Nvidia is the
END TO SPECULATION: The hotel’s management contract has been extended, despite reports that it wanted to end its alliance with Hyatt Hotels over a deal with Riant Capital Singapore-based Hong Leong Hotel Development Ltd (豐隆大飯店股份) yesterday said it has extended a management contract to ensure the continued presence of the Grand Hyatt brand in Taipei, ending rumors that the two sides were parting ways. “We are pleased Hyatt is able to come to terms on the extension of the management contract of Grand Hyatt Taipei,” said Kwek Leng Beng (郭令明), executive chairman of City Developments Ltd (城市發展) and Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Ltd (千禧國敦酒店). Hong Leong Hotel Development is a subsidiary of Millennium, and both fall under the Hong Leong Group (豐隆集團). The Grand Hyatt Taipei (台北君悅大飯店), owned and built by
MOVING FROM CHINA? The article did not name the company, but Foxconn, Wistron and Pegatron were among firms chosen for a production-linked incentive plan in India An Apple Inc vendor is looking at shifting six production lines to India from China, which could result in US$5 billion of iPhone exports from the South Asian nation, the Times of India reported, citing people familiar with the matter who it did not identify. The establishment of the facility would create about 55,000 jobs over about a year, the newspaper reported, not naming the Apple vendor. It would also cater to the domestic market and expand operations to include tablets and laptops, the newspaper reported. Samsung Electronics Co and Apple’s assembly partners are among 22 companies that have pledged 110 billion
’WHITE BOX’: The open platform would give local firms access to Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop 5G telecom equipment and tap into the global market The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday introduced a new 5G “open lab” in collaboration with US-based information technology and networking giant Cisco Systems Inc to address the rapidly growing “white box” 5G networking equipment market. The open lab will be a platform where Taiwanese manufacturers can access Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop their own 5G telecom equipment, such as small-cell base stations, network switches, modems and Internet of things (IoT) devices, a ministry statement said. The open platform would allow Taiwanese manufacturers to tap into the lucrative 5G telecom equipment market, which was previously monopolized by Nokia Oyj, Ericsson AB