BHP Billiton Ltd, the world’s No. 1 miner, yesterday said that it was cutting back its operating US shale oil rigs by 40 percent amid slumping prices, but expected production output to rise for the fiscal year.
BHP said it would reduce the number of rigs from 26 to 16 by the end of June in response to weaker oil prices. Shale volumes were still forecast to grow by about 50 percent during the period.
“In petroleum, we have moved quickly in response to lower prices and will reduce the number of rigs we operate in our onshore US business by approximately 40 percent by the end of this financial year,” chief executive Andrew Mackenzie said. “The revised drilling program will benefit from significant improvements in drilling and completions efficiency.”
Mackenzie said that while the firm’s drilling operations would focus on its Black Hawk field in Texas: “We will keep this activity under review and make further changes if we believe deferring development will create more value than near-term production.”
BHP shares closed up 2.07 percent to A$28.05 yesterday in Sydney trading.
Oil prices slid again on Tuesday after the IMF slashed its forecast for world economic growth and revived concerns about the strength of crude demand.
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for next month sank US$2.30, or 4.7 percent, to US$46.39 a barrel, not far from its lowest level since March 2009.
“The announcement that BHP will reduce the number of US onshore oil rigs it operates by the end of this financial year is a pointer to the industry-wide supply response on lower oil prices that is yet to come,” CMC Markets’ chief market analyst Ric Spooner said in a note.
BHP added that its iron ore output had risen by 16 percent for the three months to December last year compared with a year earlier, hitting 56.4 million tonnes.
Prices in iron ore, a core BHP commodity, slumped 47 percent last year amid a global supply glut and softening Chinese demand.
The Anglo-Australian miner also booked a charge of up to US$250 million for the sale of petroleum and gas assets in the US, and up to US$350 million in aftertax charges for the Nickel West mine in western Australia.
BHP said in November last year that it had called a halt to the planned sale of Nickel West, as no bidder had offered the right price.
Mackenzie said BHP’s operational performance over the past six months was strong and the firm was cutting costs and lifting productivity faster than planned.
He added that BHP remained committed to its planned corporate restructuring — to be completed by the end of the fiscal year — which includes a new independent firm called South32 created by spinning off non-core assets including aluminum and selected coal and nickel operations.
Gogoro Inc (睿能創意) yesterday launched its first electric bicycle, the Gogoro Eeyo 1, in Taiwan, after unveiling the bike in New York in late May and in France on Tuesday. The company said it would also introduce the series in other European countries such as Germany and the Netherlands. The “Eeyo project” is the fourth of Gogoro’s eight projects that concentrate on smart transportation, which includes Gogoro’s electric scooter, battery swap system and electric scooter sharing service, company founder and chief executive officer Horace Luke (陸學森) told a media briefing in Taipei. “There are various types of city commuters. We will not
EXPERIMENTAL DRUG: While news about a COVID-19 vaccine is more eye-catching, developing a treatment would be more viable, the Senhwa boss said Senhwa Biosciences Inc (生華科) aims to raise NT$1.5 billion (US$50.57 million) by issuing 15 million new common shares in the third quarter of this year to fund the research of new drugs, including the experimental drug Silmitasertib for the treatment of COVID-19, the company said on Monday. That would be the firm’s largest fundraising effort after it raised more than NT$1.4 billion from an initial public offering on the Taipei Exchange (TPEX) in April 2017, chief financial officer Sarah Chang (張小萍) told the Taipei Times by telephone. The price of the new shares would depend on the firm’s average share price
NOT A PANACEA: Offering 5G services would not solve the problem of declining telecom incomes, chairman Sheih Chi-mau said, expecting a flat 5G telecom revenue Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信) yesterday became the nation’s first telecom to debut its 5G services, offering tiered tariffs that include a threshold of NT$599 and flat rates, as it aims to switch half of its subscribers to the 5G network within three years. Subscribers would have unlimited data transmission for monthly fees starting at NT$1,399 — the same flat rate as when the company launched its 4G service in 2014 — and they can subscribe to the highest-rate plan for NT$2,699 per month for faster data transmission speeds and larger bandwidth, the company said. Data transmission speeds would be within the range
ROW: A probe would determine if the rights of shareholders who were not allowed to vote yesterday had been violated, while the stock exchange also wants answers The election of board directors yesterday at Tatung Co (大同) sparked controversy after the company blocked some institutional and individual shareholders from participating in the general shareholders’ meeting, prompting the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) to announce that the vote would be investigated. Lin Kuo Wen-yen (林郭文艷) was re-elected as chairwoman of the household-appliance maker’s nine-member board, but prior to the vote she announced that several shareholders would not have voting rights. They were being denied a vote because they had contravened the Business Mergers and Acquisitions Act (企業併購法), and the Act Governing Relations Between the People of the Taiwan Area and