Software giant Microsoft has parted company with NBC News, pulling out of their joint venture MSNBC to launch its own online news service, the two companies announced on Sunday.
Moving on “allows us to go out and innovate,” MSN.com general manager Bob Visse said, confirming that MSN.com had begun hiring for a new news operation — as yet unnamed — that will launch later this year.
“If you start thinking about what we’re going to be doing in Windows and the Bing app and what we’re going to be doing ... across multiple platforms, it makes a lot of sense for Microsoft,” he said.
“We’re talking about using technology and using data to solve information delivery and news delivery in new and innovative ways. It’s really difficult for us to do that when we have an exclusive, single-source relationship with one news provider,” Visse said.
Under the joint venture, NBC News had been the sole provider of news for MSN.com, which will now be free to forge partnerships with other media organizations.
NBC News said it would continue to provide new for MSN.com and would continue to sell the rebranded NBCNews.com’s advertising inventory for an undisclosed period to minimize the disruption in ad revenue.
The deal means that NBC effectively buys Microsoft’s 50 percent stake in MSNBC. No details of the financial arrangement were provided.
Anyone opening up the MSNBC.com Web site is now automatically redirected to NBCNews.com.
Microsoft’s move comes as other major Internet companies like Yahoo and AOL have forged important alliances with news organizations.
Yahoo teamed up with ABC News towards the end of last year to create a digital news powerhouse Yahoo News, which is the top online news destination in the US with 80 million unique visitors a month.
Microsoft’s move comes just days after it announced it was cutting an unspecified number of jobs in marketing and advertising as part of a move to “align” its operations to key priorities.
The tech giant gave no specific numbers or details, but also announced a writedown of US$6.2 billion in its online operations.
Microsoft, which is soon to release its new Windows 8 operating system, said last week it would take the massive writedown related to the 2007 acquisition of aQuantive, a digital advertising firm aimed at helping Microsoft compete against Google and others.
The charge, to be reflected in the company’s upcoming earnings report, is required under accounting rules to reflect a lower value or so-called “goodwill impairment.”
Microsoft announced earlier this month that its next-generation operating system would be available in October as the software giant strives to stay relevant in a blossoming mobile era centered on tablets and smartphones.
“This will be the biggest product and services launch year in our company’s history,” Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said at an annual gathering of gadget makers and other partners in the Canadian city of Toronto.
The Windows 8 operating system, which is the norm for personal computers, will also be used on many smartphones and tablet computers, including Microsoft’s own Surface tablet to be launched this year.
PRESSURE FROM THE US: Huawei said a decision by the US was ‘arbitrary and pernicious, and threatens to undermine the entire [technology] industry worldwide’ Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has stopped new orders from Huawei Technologies Co (華為) in response to Washington’s move aimed at further limiting chip supplies to the Chinese company, the Nikkei reported yesterday, citing multiple sources. The orders that TSMC took before the new ban and those that were already in production are not affected, and could continue to proceed if those chips could be shipped before the middle of September, the report said. TSMC, the world’s biggest contract chipmaker and a key Huawei supplier, on Thursday last week announced plans to build a US-based plant and on Friday added that
MediaTek Inc (聯發科), which designs chips used in mobile phones, yesterday launched its new 5G Dimensity 820 system-on-chip (SoC), targeting mid-range to high-end smartphones. The company expects the penetration of 5G technology to gain pace quickly this year and not be affected too much by the COVID-19 pandemic. MediaTek said it aims to expand its 5G chip portfolio this year to cover phones of varying prices after it shipped its first 5G SoC, the Dimensity 1000, last quarter. The Dimensity 820, made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) on 7-nanometer technology, is designed for mid-range to high-end 5G phones. MediaTek expects to infiltrate the
TV and online retailer Momo.com Inc (富邦媒體) yesterday said it has set up a new logistics subsidiary, Fu Sheng Logistics Co (富昇物流), to oversee the company’s extensive shipping operations. Leveraging Momo’s 23 satellite warehouses and distribution centers nationwide, Fu Sheng will be in charge of executing the retailer’s same-day shipment plan for deliveries in Taipei, New Taipei City, Taoyuan, Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung, Momo said in a press release. Seeking to further shorten its supply chain, the company is to set up another seven satellite warehouses and distribution centers by the end of the year. “Fu Sheng has a fleet of 200 couriers
US-CHINA TENSIONS: The company said that it supplies self-designed chips to the Chinese company and, as such, is not affected by the latest US export restrictions Macronix International Co (旺宏電子) said it does not expect its shipments of memory chips to Huawei Technologies Co (華為) to be affected by the latest US export restrictions on the Chinese tech giant. “As long as the company [Huawei] places orders, we will ship [chips], unless the [Taiwanese] government restricts all Taiwanese companies from shipping” to Huawei, Macronix chairman and chief executive officer Miin Wu (吳敏求) said on Monday in Hsinchu. The US Department of Commerce on Friday took a further step to block chip supplies from non-US companies to Huawei by requiring foreign semiconductor makers to get US government permission before