Sun, Jan 09, 2011 - Page 11 News List

Supergrain’s popularity a boon to Bolivians

Once considered poor people’s food, quinoa is now the mark of the food-savvy and health-conscious in the West, and its popularity could help raise the living standards of some of Bolivia’s poorest farmers

By Carlos Valdez and Frank Bajak  /  AP, CARACOLLO, BOLIVIA

It’s as inhospitable as climates come for crop cultivation, the dry and rocky soils of Bolivia’s semi-arid altiplain. Miguel Choque can see his breath as surveys his fields of quinoa, the Andean “supergrain.”

In late March or April, the flowering plants will paint the rugged landscape yellow, green and red. Their diminutive seed, which powered Inca armies only to be elbowed aside by the wheat preferred by colonizing Spaniards, is unmatched in nutritional value.

Quinoa’s rising popularity among First World foodies — the wholesale price has jumped sevenfold since 2000 as global demand climbed — has been a boon to the poor farmers here in the semi-arid highlands where most of it grows.

And that boom has transformed the lives of the largely subsistence farmers who grow it, though it remains unclear whether the large-scale commercial cultivation sought by Bolivia’s government is environmentally sustainable in the altiplain — or even welcome by growers.

Bolivian President Evo Morales’ government has deemed quinoa a “strategic” foodstuff, essential to this poverty-afflicted nation’s food security. It is promoting the grain and has included quinoa in a subsidized food parcel for pregnant women.

Yet the higher prices quinoa is fetching have had an unanticipated impact where the grain is grown. Some local children are showing signs of malnutrition because their parents have substituted rice and noodles for quinoa in the family diet, said Walter Severo, president of a quinoa producer’s group in southwest Bolivia.

“Only 10 percent of it stays in Bolivia. The other 90 percent gets exported,” Bolivian Rural Development Minister Nemecia Achacollo says.

Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) provides 10 essential amino acids, is loaded with minerals and has a high protein content — between 14 and 18 percent. The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) says it is so nutritious it can be substituted for mother’s milk.

Quinoa isn’t a cereal. It’s a seed that is eaten like a grain, but is gluten-free and more easily digestible than corn, wheat, rye, millet and sorghum. And it can be substituted for rice in just about anything — from soup to salad to pudding to bread.

“I’ve got high-performance athletes that swear by it,” said David Schnorr, president of Quinoa Corp, the largest US importer.

Quinoa has been cultivated in the Andean highlands since 3,000 BC and grows natively from Chile north to Colombia, mostly in Peru and Bolivia. The varieties of this region of southwestern Bolivia — at 3,700m — are resistant to the freezes and droughts that periodically afflict it.

The crop — chisiya mama or “mother grain” in the native Quechua language — also grows in the San Luis Valley of Colorado at about 2,400m as well as in a growing number of countries including China and Mongolia, Johnson said.

He says Peru and Bolivia account for as much as 97 percent of global production. And demand is booming, despite the recent economic downturn.

In 2000, Bolivia exported 1,439 tonnes valued at US$1.8 million. In 2009, exports totaled 14,500 tonnes worth more than US$25 million, principally to the US, Japan and Europe. The goal for this harvest is 30,000 tonnes, said Bolivian Deputy Minister of Rural Development Victor Hugo Vasquez.

Schnoor said prices soared threefold in early 2008. A decade ago, a 12-ounce box of his quinoa, marketed under the Ancient Harvest brand, retailed for 99 cents in the US. Now it costs about US$4.50. It’s also available in bulk at natural food markets — and even Costco warehouse stores now carry it.

This story has been viewed 3311 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top