Rio Tinto Ltd and Chinalco (中國鋁業), China’s largest alumina producer, yesterday signed a memorandum of understanding to set up a joint venture to explore resources in China, the Anglo--Australian mining giant said.
The venture, in which Chinalco will hold a 51 percent stake, while Rio will take the remaining 49 percent, will “explore mainland China for world-class mineral deposits,” Rio said in a statement.
“The combination of skills provided by Rio Tinto and Chinalco offers great potential to unlock value for mutual benefit,” the statement quoted Rio Tinto chief executive Tom Albanese as saying at a signing ceremony in Beijing.
The joint venture, expected to come into operations in the first half of next year, will start with three to five large exploration projects and potentially move to additional regions later on.
Rio will appoint the chief executive of the new venture, with the chairman of the five-member board nominated by Chinalco, according to the statement.
Chinalco is seeking to diversify from aluminum into other sectors such as coal, iron ore, rare earths and copper to become a global mining firm.
Chinalco’s listed unit Chalco and Rio Tinto in July signed a binding agreement to jointly develop a huge African iron ore field, with the Chinese company to invest US$1.35 billion in the project.
The deal is also the latest sign of a recovery in Rio’s relations with China, its biggest customer, after four of its staff were jailed in Shanghai for bribery and stealing commercial secrets earlier this year.
The case, which followed Rio’s decision to scrap a tie-up last year with Chinalco, its shareholder, rattled relations between Beijing and Canberra and stoked concern among foreign investors about the rule of law in China.
TV and online retailer Momo.com Inc (富邦媒體) yesterday said it has set up a new logistics subsidiary, Fu Sheng Logistics Co (富昇物流), to oversee the company’s extensive shipping operations. Leveraging Momo’s 23 satellite warehouses and distribution centers nationwide, Fu Sheng will be in charge of executing the retailer’s same-day shipment plan for deliveries in Taipei, New Taipei City, Taoyuan, Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung, Momo said in a press release. Seeking to further shorten its supply chain, the company is to set up another seven satellite warehouses and distribution centers by the end of the year. “Fu Sheng has a fleet of 200 couriers
‘ACCORDING TO PLAN’: A company official said that it has set up production sites worldwide to provide services and that its Wisconsin project was going smoothly Hon Hai Precision Industry Co’s (鴻海精密) smart manufacturing center in Wisconsin would begin trial manufacturing in the middle of this year, the company said yesterday, adding that it plans to build a research institute to develop key technologies to support growth over the next five years. Hon Hai, known internationally as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團), said in an annual report submitted to the Taiwan Stock Exchange that its planned Foxconn Institute for Research in Science and Technology would conduct research into artificial intelligence, next-generation communications, quantum computing, cybersecurity and nano semiconductors in Taiwan. Hon Hai is to make products at the center
US-CHINA TENSIONS: The company said that it supplies self-designed chips to the Chinese company and, as such, is not affected by the latest US export restrictions Macronix International Co (旺宏電子) said it does not expect its shipments of memory chips to Huawei Technologies Co (華為) to be affected by the latest US export restrictions on the Chinese tech giant. “As long as the company [Huawei] places orders, we will ship [chips], unless the [Taiwanese] government restricts all Taiwanese companies from shipping” to Huawei, Macronix chairman and chief executive officer Miin Wu (吳敏求) said on Monday in Hsinchu. The US Department of Commerce on Friday took a further step to block chip supplies from non-US companies to Huawei by requiring foreign semiconductor makers to get US government permission before
E Ink Holdings Inc (元太科技), the world’s sole supplier of e-paper displays for e-readers and shelf labels, posted its best quarterly net profit for the first quarter in nine years amid increased demand during a traditionally slow season. Net profit soared 80 percent to NT$787 million (US$26.23 million) in the quarter ended March 31, compared with NT$438 million a year earlier. That translated into earnings per share of NT$0.69, up from NT$0.39. E Ink posted lower royalty income of NT$371.23 million last quarter from NT$448.74 million a year earlier, a company financial statement showed. E Ink said that it expects royalty income to