Talks between General Motors Corp (GM) and the German government over which of two bidders will take control of GM’s Opel unit have run into “serious challenges,” according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.
GM’s board, in a telephone conference call meeting on Friday, made no decision between bids from a consortium led by Canada’s Magna International Inc and Brussels-based investor RHJ International SA.
The board instead questioned the aid package offered by the German government in the deal because it only included an option to fund the Magna group, said the person, who didn’t want to be identified because the talks are ongoing.
The government has been clear it wants the Magna group, which includes Russian lender Sberbank, to gain controlling interest in Opel. GM has said it would prefer RHJ because the Magna-Sperbank bid raises the possibility of GM patents and other intellectual property falling into competitors’ hands.
A German government official said the government “regrets” that the board didn’t make a decision and said talks will continue this week. The person, who requested anonymity because the talks are private, said officials are confident that solutions will be found.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in an interview published on Friday, renewed backing for Magna, saying its bid is “the better concept.”
“As things stand, I view the chances for the financial investor RHJI very critically,” Merkel was quoted as telling the daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. “Our preferences lie clearly with Magna. Magna has experience in car building and the better concept.”
“Without doubt, the Russian component definitely makes sense,” Merkel said, according to the report. “And I see many chances there.”
Economy Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg told the Financial Times Deutschland newspaper that he expected a “basic assessment” on the bids but it is a “matter for GM” whether it makes a decision yet.
Government spokesman Klaus Vater declined to say whether Germany would accept a decision in favor of RHJ.
END TO SPECULATION: The hotel’s management contract has been extended, despite reports that it wanted to end its alliance with Hyatt Hotels over a deal with Riant Capital Singapore-based Hong Leong Hotel Development Ltd (豐隆大飯店股份) yesterday said it has extended a management contract to ensure the continued presence of the Grand Hyatt brand in Taipei, ending rumors that the two sides were parting ways. “We are pleased Hyatt is able to come to terms on the extension of the management contract of Grand Hyatt Taipei,” said Kwek Leng Beng (郭令明), executive chairman of City Developments Ltd (城市發展) and Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Ltd (千禧國敦酒店). Hong Leong Hotel Development is a subsidiary of Millennium, and both fall under the Hong Leong Group (豐隆集團). The Grand Hyatt Taipei (台北君悅大飯店), owned and built by
’WHITE BOX’: The open platform would give local firms access to Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop 5G telecom equipment and tap into the global market The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday introduced a new 5G “open lab” in collaboration with US-based information technology and networking giant Cisco Systems Inc to address the rapidly growing “white box” 5G networking equipment market. The open lab will be a platform where Taiwanese manufacturers can access Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop their own 5G telecom equipment, such as small-cell base stations, network switches, modems and Internet of things (IoT) devices, a ministry statement said. The open platform would allow Taiwanese manufacturers to tap into the lucrative 5G telecom equipment market, which was previously monopolized by Nokia Oyj, Ericsson AB
Nintendo Co is raising its target for Switch production to about 25 million units this fiscal year, people familiar with the matter said, as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic keeps lifting demand and component shortages ease. The Kyoto, Japan-based company, which in April hiked orders to 22 million units by March next year, is asking partners to tack on another few million units, said the people, who did not want to be identified discussing internal goals. Assembly partners plan to work at maximum capacity through December. The new production target suggests that Nintendo is likely to outperform its Switch sales forecast of 19 million
‘BIG LOSS’: This year might see the last generation of Huawei’s Kirin chips, as their production would stop next month because they are made using US technology Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co (華為) is running out of processor chips to make smartphones due to US sanctions and would be forced to stop production of its own most advanced chips, a company executive has said, in a sign of growing damage to Huawei’s business from US pressure. Huawei, one of the biggest producers of smartphones and network equipment, is at the center of US-Chinese tension over technology and security. Washington last year cut off Huawei’s access to US components and technology, and those penalties were tightened in May, when the White House barred vendors worldwide from using US