Wed, Apr 07, 2004 - Page 11 News List

President Chain still in talks over China 7-Eleven

BLOOMBERG

President Chain Store Corp (統一超商), operator of the world's third-largest 7-Eleven franchise, said it's still in talks to take a stake in a venture to operate 7-Eleven stores in Beijing, though it won't be part of the group that opens the first outlet this month.

Seven-Eleven Japan Co will open one store on April 15 and another four outlets by the end of May, it said in a statement on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The Japanese company will take a 65 percent stake in the venture, and two Chinese partners will hold the remaining 35 percent.

Taipei-based President Chain, which last year said it would take a 14 percent stake in the venture under a preliminary agreement, has been wrangling with Seven-Eleven Japan for a bigger share. It applied in June, 2001 to open stores in Shanghai and Beijing, and may be hurt by not joining the venture.

"It's certainly a disappointment," said Simon Lu, a money manager at Hua Nan Investment Trust Corp (永昌投信) which oversees the equivalent of US$2.7 billion of mutual funds in Taipei. Lu doesn't hold President Chain shares. "Convenience stores and supermarkets belong to different markets. China is about who gets in first. The company's long-term development may be affected."

Seven-Eleven Japan said in a statement in January on its Web site that it set up a Beijing venture that would open and run the 7-Eleven Inc franchise in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei province. Beijing ShouLian Commercial Group (北京首聯) would take a 25 percent stake and China National Sugar & Alcohol Group (中國糖業飲料集團) 10 percent. The statement didn't mention President Chain.

"It doesn't matter even if we aren't a founding shareholder," President Chain Chief Financial Officer Fred Chen (陳福唐) said in a telephone interview. "We're still in talks to increase the stake, the higher the better. A 14 percent share makes us feel we have a lot of know-how but no room for play."

Chen said President Chain is pressing ahead with supermarket and drugstore ventures in China. In February, the company said it would set up a drugstore venture in Shenzhen in southern China.

This story has been viewed 3839 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top