Media mogul Rupert Murdoch on Friday cleared the final hurdles to fulfilling his long-sought dream of acquiring DirecTV satellite service, a coveted pipeline into millions of American television sets. \nThe Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and antitrust enforcers approved the US$6.78 billion plan by Murdoch's News Corp, home to movie studios and the Fox broadcast network, to gain control of the No. 1 US satellite television provider, with its 12 million subscribers. \nThe FCC voted 3-2 to approve the deal with conditions aimed at ensuring the television titan does not bludgeon cable and satellite rivals who also want to offer their customers News Corp's popular network and cable programming. \n"Cable and satellite customers will continue to have access to programming from a diverse source of media outlets," said FCC Chairman Michael Powell. "With these conditions, I believe the transaction serves the public interest." \nPowell was joined by Republican Commissioners Kathleen Abernathy and Kevin Martin voting for the deal. The two Democrats on the panel dissented, citing fears of higher prices for consumers and concerns about limits on DirecTV's plan to offer local channels in more markets, among other issues. \nThe Justice Department's antitrust division on Friday also signed off on the transaction without adding any additional conditions to the approval. \nThe complicated deal calls for News Corp, which runs the Fox broadcast network and 20th Century Fox movie studios among other properties, to buy a 34 percent controlling stake in DirecTV's parent, Hughes Electronics Corp. \nNews Corp chairman Murdoch tried to buy DirecTV before, negotiating in 2001 but lost out to satellite rival EchoStar Communications Corp. When regulators blocked that deal last year, the Australian-born mogul won a second chance. \n"We want to make [DirecTV] such a compelling service for viewers that it becomes the logical first choice of all consumers looking for America's best pay TV," said Murdoch and Chase Carey, who will become the chief executive of Hughes. \nThe companies plan to close the deal in the next few days, the executives said in a joint statement. \nThe approval came despite complaints by consumer groups that the deal would lead to higher prices and fewer choices. That resonated to some extent at the agency where commissioners attached some restrictions but didn't satisfy all. \nIn protracted disputes with rival multichannel television providers over carrying News Corp's Fox broadcast network, a neutral third-party will be empowered to resolve the fracases. \nHowever, if either side is unhappy, they can appeal to the FCC. The arbitration requirement expires after six years. \nCable companies and programmers typically negotiate terms for carrying the local channels and deals can include some compensation or an agreement to carry additional cable channels. If no pact is reached, programmers sometimes pull channels from the cable system, often forcing a deal. \nThe FCC barred News Corp from withholding its local Fox stations and regional sports channels during the dispute resolution process. \nThe majority of FCC commissioners were concerned that cable subscribers could be encouraged to switch to DirecTV to get the channels that may have been pulled during a dispute, like regional sports or the local Fox broadcast station. \nAdditional conditions include requiring the conglomerate to offer new and existing cable programming on nondiscriminatory terms and conditions to rivals and permit small cable providers to collectively bargain for programming. DirecTV will also have to offer local channels in 130 markets by end of next year. \nHowever, the conditions were not enough to satisfy all. \n"News Corp could be in a position to raise programming prices for consumers, harm competition in video programming and distribution markets nationwide, and decrease the diversity of media voices," said FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein. \nAdelstein was perturbed that DirecTV will not offer all consumers local channels through the satellite system, noting that all rural consumers will not receive those channels because the company will use an antenna. \n"For those who live in outlying rural areas, tough luck," he said. Adelstein, who at one point was considering voting for the deal, also complained that the arbitration requirement went away after six years.
‘BIG LOSS’: This year might see the last generation of Huawei’s Kirin chips, as their production would stop next month because they are made using US technology Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co (華為) is running out of processor chips to make smartphones due to US sanctions and would be forced to stop production of its own most advanced chips, a company executive has said, in a sign of growing damage to Huawei’s business from US pressure. Huawei, one of the biggest producers of smartphones and network equipment, is at the center of US-Chinese tension over technology and security. Washington last year cut off Huawei’s access to US components and technology, and those penalties were tightened in May, when the White House barred vendors worldwide from using US
’WHITE BOX’: The open platform would give local firms access to Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop 5G telecom equipment and tap into the global market The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday introduced a new 5G “open lab” in collaboration with US-based information technology and networking giant Cisco Systems Inc to address the rapidly growing “white box” 5G networking equipment market. The open lab will be a platform where Taiwanese manufacturers can access Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop their own 5G telecom equipment, such as small-cell base stations, network switches, modems and Internet of things (IoT) devices, a ministry statement said. The open platform would allow Taiwanese manufacturers to tap into the lucrative 5G telecom equipment market, which was previously monopolized by Nokia Oyj, Ericsson AB
CORPORATE SCANDAL: Cathay Life has invested NT$13.3 billion in Bank Mayapada since 2015, but the latest loss of NT$8.8 billion has completely written off its investment Cathay Life Insurance Co (國泰人壽) yesterday said it would recognize an investment loss of NT$8.8 billion (US$298.1 million) in Indonesia’s Bank Mayapada Internasional Tbk PT due to concerns about the lender’s operations amid a corporate scandal. The company said it would revise its earnings result for June, from a net profit of NT$6.52 billion to a net loss of NT$520 million, its first monthly loss over the past 17 months. After booking an investment loss of NT$5.2 billion in Bank Mayapada earlier this year, Cathay Life has so far recognized total investment losses of NT$14 billion in the lender, executive vice president
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday reported that revenue last month expanded 25 percent annually, but fell 12.8 percent month-on-month to NT$105.96 billion (US$3.59 billion). In the first seven months of this year, the chipmaker’s revenue surged 33.6 percent to NT$727.26 billion, compared with NT$544.46 billion a year earlier. TSMC has said it aims to grow its revenue by more than 20 percent this year. The company has since May 15 stopped taking new orders from Huawei Technologies Co (華為), its second-biggest customer after Apple Inc, due to the US’ restrictions on exports containing US technologies. TSMC has no plans to