Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信), the nation's largest telephone company, yesterday reiterated its plan to buy back a portion of its outstanding shares by the end of the year amid opposition from the company's workers' union.
"The share-buyback plan will continue," Chunghwa chairman Hochen Tan (
"We will try our best to communicate with employees so that they understand the benefit of the plan," he added.
The share buyback aims to lift shareholder's earnings by reducing issued capital and to strengthen the efficiency of capital usage, Hochen explained.
In mid-June, the telecom giant announced plans to buy back 10 percent of its outstanding shares from the state-run company's major shareholder, the Ministry of Transportation and Telecommunications, for the first time.
In order to fulfill the plan, Chunghwa plans to borrow around NT$32.5 billion from banks based on current market price.
The proposal, however, irritated Chunghwa Telecom employees, saying the move was to help finance President Chen Shui-bian's (
To hinder the plan, Chunghwa Telecom Workers' Union, with three representatives on the company's 15-member board, blocked access to a board meeting held to approve the buyback plan early last month.
Objections from the union also forced the company not to discuss the buyback plan at its latest shareholder meeting on Tuesday.
But an analyst praised the buyback plan yesterday.
"From a financial management point of view, the buyback plan won't result in any burden for Chunghwa," said Dmitri Hu (
Despite the buyback plan, Chunghwa's limited debt and strong cash flow allows the company to assert more leverage.
According to Lu Shyue-Ching (
If the market reaction to the buyback plan is encouraging, Chunghwa may consider conducting several rounds of buybacks in the near future, Lu said on the sidelines of the investor conference.
Chunghwa is confident of meeting, or even exceeding, its sales and profits forecasts for this year after a solid first-half showing. The company yesterday said its net income for the second quarter increased by 25 percent to NT$13.3 billion, resulting in a net profit margin of 29.2 percept for the period.
All of the company's various business units reported sales increases in the second quarter, with its fixed-line, wireless and Internet services divisions growing by 1.9 percent, 2.9 percent and 4.1 percent, respectively.
The SARS outbreak benefited Chunghwa's Internet-services division, the company said. As of June 30, the company's high-speed Internet-user numbers totaled 2.04 million, a nearly 10 percent jump from the previous quarter's 1.86 million users.
For the first-half of the year, Chunghwa reported net profits dropped 5 percent to NT$23.9 billion from the same period last year's NT$25.1 billion. Earnings-per-share in the first six months stood at NT$2.48 and the company said the number is expected to reach NT$4.44 this year, Lu said.
Shares of the company rose NT$0.6, or 1.3 percent, to close at NT$48.1 on the TAIEX yesterday.
END TO SPECULATION: The hotel’s management contract has been extended, despite reports that it wanted to end its alliance with Hyatt Hotels over a deal with Riant Capital Singapore-based Hong Leong Hotel Development Ltd (豐隆大飯店股份) yesterday said it has extended a management contract to ensure the continued presence of the Grand Hyatt brand in Taipei, ending rumors that the two sides were parting ways. “We are pleased Hyatt is able to come to terms on the extension of the management contract of Grand Hyatt Taipei,” said Kwek Leng Beng (郭令明), executive chairman of City Developments Ltd (城市發展) and Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Ltd (千禧國敦酒店). Hong Leong Hotel Development is a subsidiary of Millennium, and both fall under the Hong Leong Group (豐隆集團). The Grand Hyatt Taipei (台北君悅大飯店), owned and built by
’WHITE BOX’: The open platform would give local firms access to Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop 5G telecom equipment and tap into the global market The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday introduced a new 5G “open lab” in collaboration with US-based information technology and networking giant Cisco Systems Inc to address the rapidly growing “white box” 5G networking equipment market. The open lab will be a platform where Taiwanese manufacturers can access Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop their own 5G telecom equipment, such as small-cell base stations, network switches, modems and Internet of things (IoT) devices, a ministry statement said. The open platform would allow Taiwanese manufacturers to tap into the lucrative 5G telecom equipment market, which was previously monopolized by Nokia Oyj, Ericsson AB
Nintendo Co is raising its target for Switch production to about 25 million units this fiscal year, people familiar with the matter said, as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic keeps lifting demand and component shortages ease. The Kyoto, Japan-based company, which in April hiked orders to 22 million units by March next year, is asking partners to tack on another few million units, said the people, who did not want to be identified discussing internal goals. Assembly partners plan to work at maximum capacity through December. The new production target suggests that Nintendo is likely to outperform its Switch sales forecast of 19 million
‘BIG LOSS’: This year might see the last generation of Huawei’s Kirin chips, as their production would stop next month because they are made using US technology Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co (華為) is running out of processor chips to make smartphones due to US sanctions and would be forced to stop production of its own most advanced chips, a company executive has said, in a sign of growing damage to Huawei’s business from US pressure. Huawei, one of the biggest producers of smartphones and network equipment, is at the center of US-Chinese tension over technology and security. Washington last year cut off Huawei’s access to US components and technology, and those penalties were tightened in May, when the White House barred vendors worldwide from using US